Call the Team at Provident Electric for Generator Help
Nothing is worse than your power going out during a severe storm or whenever you need it most. During a blackout, you don’t want to be caught without the power to keep your appliances, lighting, and HVAC system operating. Investing in a portable or backup generator is a great way to keep you and your family safe and comfortable during a power outage. Provident Electric has helped families throughout Frederick, Mt Airy, Germantown, Westminster, and Middletown, MD, with their generator needs. Our team of seasoned electricians has the skills and expertise to quickly install your new generator and ensure it runs smoothly for years to come. Throughout this page, you’ll find factors to consider when planning to install a new generator. If you have any further questions, give us a call. We’ll be there to answer any questions.
How a Generator Can Help
One of the first questions you might ask yourself is how would a generator make my life easier. While power outages happen, the real issue is what happens to your home when the power goes out. If you don’t have a generator, your home is susceptible to power surges. Power surges can harm your appliances, flood your basement by short-circuiting your sump pump, and lead to a fridge full of spoiled food. Here are some ways a back-up generator can help your home:
- Instant Power – Certain models of generators will power on as soon as a power outage is detected. This helps prevent power surges while keeping vital appliances and systems running normally. Power surges are common occurrences, but they can damage sensitive electronics such as computers or entertainment systems and have been known to cause electrical fires.
- Protection – Beyond keeping your home running like normal, generators help keep your security system operational. Without power, your security system can’t keep your home secure.
- Comfort – Losing power in the dead of winter or the height of summer can make for a miserable living environment. Your generator ensures your home stays comfortable.
Consider These Factors When Installing a New Generator
Generators play a vital role in several situations but are most known to be back-up power in the event of a power outage. Choosing the right generator for your needs may seem straightforward, but there are several factors to consider. These include power requirements, make and model, noise, how long you have to run the unit, and more. To find the right solution for your home, you’ll need to carefully consider these to make the right choice. Provident Electric has created a list of some of the most important factors to consider when planning a generator installation, including:
- Back-up or Portable Generator – One of the first decisions you should make is if you want to invest in a portable generator or a back-up one. Portable tend to be more affordable short term, but aren’t capable of providing you with the power and convenience of a back-up generator. When you use a portable generator, you’re required to run extension cables throughout your home. They also tend to be louder and require more fuel than back-up generators. Back-up generators are designed to power your entire home quickly and efficiently. Commonly, these generators are attached to propane or natural gas supplies to run until power is restored.
- Safety and Security – Along with being a more reliable power source, back-up generators boast various safety and security features. There is no theft risk with back-up generators as they are permanently installed onto your property. Portable generators produce carbon monoxide, which can be harmful when inhaled.
- Fuel Type and Overall Cost – Another important factor to consider is the type of fuel required to power your generator. The two most common fuels are natural gas and diesel. We recommend looking into the initial cost of purchasing the model and the installation cost. You should plan out the fuel cost and how much fuel is required for a random number of days. This can help you budget the additional cost while ensuring you have enough fuel to last in an emergency.
- Repair and Maintenance Costs – Regardless of the style of generator you choose, it should be routinely maintained. If you run your own business, we recommend investing in diesel generators as they require minimal maintenance. You can rely on our team to be there when you need repairs or routine maintenance. We have the skills and experience to handle any situation.
- Fuel Storage – You’ll need to consider where you’ll store the fuel needed for your generator. Natural gas generators won’t require any storage as they’re connected to the main gas line. As long as there are no issues with your utility service, you’ll have access to fuel whenever you need to run your generator. Diesel generators use a tank attached to the unit’s base. Smaller tanks require fuel more frequently. Depending on the size of your fuel tank, you may need to make space to store diesel on sight to ensure your generator always has the fuel needed to work.
- Safety of Fuel – Thankfully, diesel is among the least flammable fossil fuels. Due to the odor of diesel, it’s unlikely you’ll let a leak go unnoticed. Natural gas is highly combustible and can explode if ever exposed to an ignition source. It’s always toxic to inhale in large quantities.
- Noise – Natural gas generators run quitter, making them perfect for homes. Diesel generators are known to produce noise that can be dangerous to your hearing. We recommend investing in a sound-dampening enclosure for both models.
- Autonomy – When a power outage strikes, will someone always be home or at work to flip on the generator? If not, we suggest investing in an automatic transfer switch. This switch will power your generator within seconds of detecting a power outage. The generator powers down when power is restored to the main grid. Without the switch, someone will need to turn on and off the generator as needed.
- Size – When planning a generator installation, you should determine where and how much room you have. Generators vary in size and style, so it is important to determine the best location. This space needed should include the generator housing and fuel storage.
Discover the Benefits of a Home Generator
As we’ve mentioned, a home generator ensures your appliances and home have the power needed to continue like normal. When considering a generator, we believe it’s important to understand the benefits of investing in a generator for your home. Whether you want to keep your home comfortable or need the power for vital medical equipment, a generator provides a wide variety of significant benefits. We’ve compiled some of the most impactful benefits of investing in a home generator, including:
- Power Vital Home Medical Devices – Whether you or a loved one relies on home medical devices, you’ll want to avoid power outages at all costs. Devices such as stair lifts, nebulizers, and oxygen machines require electricity to operate. We recommend investing in an automatic standby generator to ensure uninterrupted access to power.
- Mitigating Health Risks – Fluctuations in temperature pose a risk to your home. Installing a generator ensures your home remains comfortable.
- Reduced Repair Costs – Extended power outages put your home at risk of expensive repairs. For example, in winter, without power, your pipes may freeze and burst, or your fridge may spoil in the height of summer. No power during a rainstorm could cause your basement to flood. Generators can help you avoid costly repairs and save you money in the long run.
- Keep Your Appliances Safe – Your appliances are the most vulnerable right after a power outage. A generator will ensure a constant stream of power to your appliances, avoiding any power surges.
- Versatile Power – A portable generator provides access to versatile power whenever you need it, not just during emergencies. Whether you need a little extra power for power tools or entertaining guests, your generator is there to help.
Trust Our Team of Generator Experts Today
There are multiple factors to consider when choosing a new home generator, such as make and model, where to install it, and how to keep up with routine maintenance. The team at Provident Electric is committed to working with you through each step of the process. Whether you need help determining the best location, which model to pick or need help from trained electricians to maintain your generator, you can rely on our team of experts to help. We have experience installing and servicing both portable and backup generators for homes and businesses throughout Maryland. If you have any questions or are ready to get started, reach out and give us a call. We’ll get you scheduled for a consultation to discuss your needs.